Got My Own Chanel.

Got My Own Chanel.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Hunger.

So hungry. I haven't really eaten properly for a day now, after throwing up a free lunch yesterday twice. Curry was never a favourite of mine the first time, let alone the second. And after much consideration of the reflection staring back at me in my laptop screen I have decided my collarbone is showing more than usual. Not ideal when I was skin bone and muscle to start with. Now the muscle has gone walkies. I knew I would end up resembling the children I sometimes teach.
Five children just walked into the front entrance of the house. I was told a couple of days ago these are the ones who reside in the slums just down the road. I was talking a well educated local called Onkar, who speaks good English and translates for me. I asked him to translate for me whether or not they like drawing whilst asking him whether there was any point me setting up some sort of pro gramme just for drawing simple things and teaching them the English word for them. They love to draw apparently but it is not just these children I am dealing with it is also their parents. You have to be here to believe this but according to Onkar it is a vicious cycle here. The parents will resent their children if they are given any more opportunities than they once had and therefore place more value on putting their children into laborious work from the youngest of ages. I am talking about seven years old. So, after they gathered much amusement from watching me punch info. into this bizarre device I decided I hadn't been carrying around four packets of stickers for nothing. There are five children so during my hunt for scissors and the end product being a knife I tactfully cut out one sticker each with the backing still on to give to these kids.
Reaction? More. You can't blame them I suppose.

No comments: